WATER BODIES FOR FISHING WITHOUT A BOAT IN THE VILLAGES
WHERE TO FISH WITHOUT A BOAT—–NEAR THE VILLAGES
1. Singletary Park on Lake Harris, Highway # 27 South of Leesburg at boat launch area. Fishing pier, especially night time for crappie spawn.
2.Herlong Park boat launch area, back waters on Lake Griffin, Highway # 441 (Railroad engine) across from Orange Juice plant—-Leesburg.
3. Lake Harris, Leesburg, downtown Venetian Gardens off Highway #44 near hospital. Extensive shore line.
4. Buzzard’s Beach, on Lake Eustis, Highway #441 east of Leesburg. Boat launch area and surrounding area.
5. Lake Deaton boat ramp area.
6. Lake Miona county park fishing pier.
7. Downtown Eustis, Lake Eustis lighted lake edge boardwalk
8. Wooten Park, downtown Tavares, Lake Dora fishing pier and shore line area to fish.
9. Fishing piers, shoreline and bay area in downtown Mt. Dora on Lake Dora, called Gilbert Park at the end of Tremain st.
10. Highway #19 bridge to Howie-in-the-hills park called Hickory Pointe has several fishing piers.
Florida is conducive to year-round fishing which makes The Villages a perfect community to offer ample fishing opportunities for those who wish to wet a hook and line. To ensure your fishing experience is enjoyable, it is important to know the rules and regulations for fishing these water bodies. The Village Community Development Districts and the State’s Water Management Districts who oversee and manages these water bodies, which serve several purposes for the community, also provides anglers fishable areas for their recreational enjoyment. In order to have a healthy and manageable fishery available for anglers, the Village Community Development Districts (VCDD) along with the Freshwater Fishing Club has outlined expectations for those anglers wanting to fish the bodies of water within the boundaries of The Villages in accordance with the following conditions:
- All fishermen are required to comply with federal, state and local laws, statutes and ordinances while fishing within the boundaries of The Villages. Licenses are required for those 16 years of age or older. No license is required for Florida residents 65 yrs of age and older. (proof of residency and age required) For licensing information, visit www.MyFWC.com.
- Fishermen may fish in any lake, canal or stream, whether natural or man made, which can be reached without crossing over or trespassing upon any privately owned property or golf courses.
- Fishermen are prohibited from fishing in Lake Sumter, Harmswood or other areas with “No Fishing” signs posted.
- Fishermen may launch kayaks, canoes, and not motorized craft on the retention ponds, subject to the other restrictions.
- Any person crossing into jurisdictional wetlands is in volition of state and federal law and may be prosecuted.
- If you have any questions regarding this policy please call the VCDD Recreation Business Office at 753-1716.
Thanks to the contributions of the Freshwater Fishing Club, the Recreation Department has a Rod Loaner Program which is available at La Hacienda Regional Recreation Center and Lake Miona Regional Recreation Center. It is a “free-rental” system where, upon request, rods and reels can be checked-out with a Villages ID or Guest ID card. You may contact the La Hacienda Recreation Center at 753-1716 or Lake Miona Regional Recreation Center 430-2950 for more information. If you would like more information you may attend The Fresh Water Fishing Club meeting which is held the second Tuesday of the month, 6:30pm at the Lake Miona Regional Recreation Center.
The VCDD practices catch and release. Catch and release is defined as “a practice within recreational fishing intended as a technique of conservation. After capture, the fish are unhooked and returned to the water before experiencing serious exhaustion or injury.” This definition goes hand in hand with the core values of The Villages and the VCDD.
Where can I get bait/hooks and bobbers?
1. Brooker Bait & Tackle (352-460-0695) Tackle specialists, worms, minnows, shiners, 351 A. West North Blvd, Leesburg on 441 at the 441/27 split.
2. Walmart 17863 Rte. 441/27 in Summerfield has equipment and worms.
3. Walmart at Buffalo Ridge Shopping complex has equipment and worms.
Practice C.P.R — Catch – Photograph – Release
Unless the fish is a personal trophy, release the fish alive so that others can enjoy the experience.
It is important that all people fishing in The Villages respect the private property of homeowners and golf facilities. Please leave your fishing site as clean as you found it.